I have the secret to the best homemade hot cocoa mix in the world! Wanna know what it is?Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Do you call it hot cocoa or hot chocolate? I say both but I feel like when I make homemade it’s hot cocoa and when I buy it at a game it’s hot chocolate. Obviously, the only time I buy it is at football games!
When my oldest played football and my youngest and I would travel to an away game, I would always make this special hot cocoa and put it in my thermos for us to take with us.
There isn’t anything worse than hot chocolate that’s out of date and made with water! Yuck.
This hot cocoa recipe is the best you will ever taste and if you do want to travel with just the powder form you can put it in a jar and just get hot water wherever you’re going. It contains the milk already so it is creamy with just hot water but it is pure decadence when you make it with hot milk!
Homemade Hot Cocoa Supply List
- Unsweetened, Dutch Process Girhadelli Cocoa Powder (This is the secret to rich homemade hot cocoa)
- Powdered Sugar
- Powdered Milk whole, or instant nonfat dry milk
Add-ons or additions
- Instant espresso
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Vanilla extract
- Chai powder
How to Make Homemade Hot Cocoa
- Mix Ingredients
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a whisk.
- Sift or Pulse
Sift the powder together or use a food processor and pulse the dry ingredients to make sure they are incorporated and no clumps
- Add to small mason jars or seal in cellophane bags.
- Add other homemade gifts to a gift basket!
The Best Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
- 1 cup Ghirardelli 100% Cocoa Dutch-Process
- 2 cups Quality Powdered Sugar
- 2 cups Whole Milk Powder
Add ins or additives in individual cups
- 1 tsp Instant Espresso
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Mix the hot cocoa ingredients together
- You can pulse them, once mixed, in a food processor or sift through a sifter together if needed
- Add to mason jar or keep in an airtight container
- Mix two to three tablespoons with 1 cup hot water (or hot milk) for the creamiest hot cocoa ever!
- Good for one year