Are you looking to add a touch of cottage charm to your home? Whether you live in a cozy cottage or a modern apartment, you can incorporate elements of this charming style to create a warm and inviting space.
In this article, we will explore 15 ways to add cottage charm to your home and transform it into a space you’ll love to relax in.
From natural materials and vintage pieces to cozy reading nooks and rustic accents, there are many ways to infuse your home with the cozy, laid-back atmosphere of a countryside retreat.
So, sit back, relax and let’s get started on creating your dream cottage-inspired home!
On my blog Amy Sadler Designs, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. You can find my full Disclosure Policy HERE
25 ways to add cottage charm to your home
- Use natural materials such as wood, stone, and linen to create a cozy and rustic atmosphere.
- Incorporate vintage or antique pieces, such as a farmhouse table or a rocking chair, to give your home a sense of history and character.
- Use light, neutral colors for walls and furnishings, and add pops of color with vintage-inspired textiles such as quilts or patterned rugs.
- Add plants and flowers to create a natural, garden-like atmosphere.
- Use a mix of different lighting sources, such as table lamps, floor lamps, and candles, to create a warm and inviting ambiance.
- Create a cozy reading nook with a comfortable chair, a side table, and a good reading lamp.
- Use open shelving to display your favorite books, dishes, and other decorative items.
- Add a fireplace or wood-burning stove to create a warm and inviting focal point in your living space.
- Incorporate a variety of textures, such as wicker, woven baskets, and burlap, to create a layered and inviting space.
- Finally, personalize your space with meaningful items, such as family photographs, artwork, or heirlooms, which will give your home a sense of warmth and history.
The Nuts and Bolts of Cottage Charm
- Crockery – adding vintage crockery will instantly elevate your kitchen to the charming cottage vibe.
- Marble Accents – Marble is a classic element in both cottage charm and French farmhouse/ French country styles. It doesn’t have to be marble countertops, but just adding in a marble cake stand or a marble cutting board will do the trick to add a touch of cottage charm.
- Dark Stained Wood Furniture – Don’t paint it all. Leave a few pieces dark-stained and authentically aged to perfection.
- Old Books – add some beautiful antique books in their natural beauty.
- Brass Details – Brass knobs on cabinets and dressers, brass candlesticks, and brass lamps strewn throughout your cottage will give the perfect effect!
- Baskets Large and Small – having a basket wall and baskets collecting all of your cozy blankets. You can’t have too many baskets in a charming country cottage!
- Wallpaper – preferably small print floral.
- Antique Prints on a gallery wall – landscapes from the countryside and portraits of beautiful ladies and stern men are a must for a cottage gallery wall.
- Stone Walls (Over Grouted) – If you think you can’t add stone walls to your home think again. I just got a faux stone textured wall application to add to my kitchen.
- Copper Pots – I have a collection of vintage copper and it is one of my favorite things. I also have a new set of copper cookware that I can’t live without.
- Peg Rails – Peg rails are a must for hanging baskets, copper pots and dried lavender. They are easy to find in stores now, but making them isn’t difficult either. Just make sure to measure twice!
- Greenery – real or faux greenery placed in baskets and on bookshelves will give you the look you are going for.
- Floral China – floral everything but especially china.
- Tea Nook – Instead of a coffee bar, go for a tea nook. Include your kettle and all varieties of your favorite blends. Honey and Lavender syrup too!
- Candles – Not just the scented variety, but tapers and tea lights too. Go for cozy comfort and candlelight is a great way to achieve that.
Shop Cottage Charm Style
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s easy to save this post to your Pinterest board right here from the image below by either hovering over it on your computer or touch the red Pinterest Logo on the image with your phone and it will automatically open your Pinterest app to save! That way you’ll have it when you are ready for it!
What’s In My Cart
01-20-23 Welcome to the Fabulous Friday Link Party Did You Hear? We’re Celebrating Fabulous Friday Link Party‘s 1st Birthday in February Sadly, we can’t send a present to all the bloggers (there’s so many) who share their content But One Lucky Blogger Will Receive $100 Amazon Gift Card The lucky blogger will be randomly drawn … Read More about Fabulous Friday Link Party 1.20.23