Embracing Hygge: Cozy Fall Home Makeover Tips
As the leaves begin to change color and the air turns cooler, it’s time to start thinking about how you can transform your home into a cozy and inviting space to enjoy during the upcoming fall season. One popular way to achieve this is by embracing the Danish concept of hygge (pronounced “hoo-guh”), which is all about creating a warm atmosphere and enjoying the simple pleasures of life.
Hygge is more than just a trendy buzzword — it’s a way of life that focuses on the importance of relaxation, well-being, and togetherness. By incorporating hygge principles into your daily routine and home décor, you’ll be on your way to creating a tranquil and cozy ambiance that’s perfect for fall. From incorporating soft, warm lighting to surrounding yourself with comforting textures and scents, there are plenty of ways to achieve a hygge-inspired home this autumn.
- Embrace the Danish concept of hygge to create a cozy atmosphere in your home for fall
- Focus on relaxation, well-being, and togetherness by incorporating hygge principles into your daily routine and home décor
- Achieve a hygge-inspired home by using warm lighting, comforting textures, and inviting scents
More Fall Home Tour Inspiration
My friend Marty at A Stroll Through Life is hosting this wonderful Fall Home Tour, and the inspiration is so good. I have linked all of the beautiful homes at the bottom of this post but you can start with Cindy from DIY Beautify and her very helpful information about styling your shelves for the Fall Season!
Incorporating Hygge into Your Home
Choosing the Right Fall Colors
When it comes to Hygge, the first step is selecting the right color palette for your home. Soft, warm colors like burnt orange, deep reds, and earthy tones create a cozy and welcoming atmosphere for the fall season. Consider incorporating these colors into your home through:
- Pillows and throws: Add a pop of color to sofas and chairs
- Wall art: Choose paintings or photos with warm colors
- Rugs: Find an area rug in a warm palette to add to the living room or bedroom
- Paint: On the walls or on the furniture makes a major impact
Making Use of Soft Lighting
Soft, warm lighting is essential for a Hygge home. It creates a relaxed and comfortable environment, perfect for spending time with loved ones. Replace harsh overhead lights with more subdued options:
- Table and floor lamps: Place lamps around your home for a warm glow
- Diffusers: Add a diffuser with your favorite fall scents nearby
- Candles: Choose scented candles for a gentle light and a pleasant aroma
Creating a Cozy Reading Nook
A reading nook is a perfect addition to your Hygge home. Design a space where you can curl up with a great book, sip on a warm beverage, and enjoy some alone time. Here’s how:
- Find a quiet corner: Look for a tranquil space with natural light
- Add seating: A comfy armchair or even a pile of floor cushions will work
- Decorate with warm colors: Bring in the fall colors you chose earlier
- Include a small side table: For your drink, snacks, or to rest your book
Investing in Plush Textiles
Finally, a true Hygge home is filled with soft, plush textiles. These cozy touches create a sense of comfort and warmth, essential for embracing Hygge during the fall season. Add plush textiles to your home through:
- Blankets: Drape soft blankets across sofas or beds for added warmth
- Pillows: Mix and match different shapes and textures for visual interest
- Curtains: Choose thick, heavy drapes to keep out drafts and the cold air
Following these tips will help you create a warm and inviting Hygge-inspired home this fall, perfect for relaxing and spending time with those you love.
The Role of Scent in Hygge
The power of scent cannot be underestimated when it comes to creating a cozy and inviting home this fall. Our sense of smell is directly linked to our emotions and memories, making it an essential element of hygge.
Choosing Fall-Inspired Scents
To enhance the hygge experience, you should select scents that evoke the essence of fall. Consider fragrances that bring to mind:
- Warm spices: Think cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. These spices evoke the comforting feeling of being wrapped in a blanket, sipping on a warm mug of tea, or indulging in a freshly baked treat.
- Woody notes: Scents like pine, cedarwood, and sandalwood can create a sense of warmth and connection to nature, perfect for the autumn season.
- Fruity and sweet: Apple, pumpkin, and caramel scents are reminiscent of fall harvests, apple pies, and other seasonal treats.
Incorporating these scents into your home can be done in several ways:
- Candles: Choose scented candles that reflect the fall-inspired scents you love. Not only will they add an inviting fragrance, but they’ll also create a warm and cozy atmosphere with their flickering light.
- Diffusers: Essential oil diffusers allow you to mix and match oils to create your perfect fall-inspired scent. They’re also great for those who may have sensitivities to candles or other methods of scent distribution.
- Potpourri: Fill a decorative bowl or jar with a mixture of dried fruits, spices, and wood chips that encapsulate the essence of fall. This allows you to create a stunning visual display while releasing gentle fragrances into your space.
Remember to change or refresh your chosen scents as the season progresses. This will keep your home feeling fresh, cozy, and inviting all throughout the fall season.
Here is a guide to Fall Diffuser Blends and my free printable Fall Recipes!
The Hygge Kitchen
Warm Food and Drinks for Fall
As the temperatures drop, it’s a perfect time to incorporate warm and cozy food and drinks into your kitchen routine. Soups and stews are delicious and comforting, making them ideal for those chilly evenings. Don’t forget about crockpot and slow cooker meals, as they can create mouthwatering dishes and bring delightful smells into your home.
My Beef Bourguignon Instant Pot Recipe is on my fall menu rotation and it is definitely a family favorite!
For drinks, consider making a hot cup of tea or cider to enjoy with a good book, or indulge in a pumpkin spice latte or hot chocolate topped with marshmallows for a warm treat.
Baking as a Hygge Activity
The idea of Hygge goes beyond just making your home cozy; it’s also about enjoying the process of creating warmth and happiness. One way to do this is through baking. Not only will it bring amazing aromas into your kitchen, but it’s also an engaging activity to partake in with friends and family. And of course, you’ll have delicious treats to share and savor together.
Some ideas for fall-inspired baking might include:
Remember to create an inviting atmosphere in your kitchen, whether it’s by putting on soft background music or lighting a few candles. Enjoy the process and embrace the Hygge vibe throughout the season!
Bringing Hygge Outside Your Home
Outdoor Decor for Fall
To bring hygge outside your home this fall, start with your outdoor decor. Choose warm and earthy colors like burnt orange, deep red, and chocolate brown to create a cozy atmosphere. Add accent items such as:
- Decorative pumpkins
- Lanterns with candles
- Throw pillows in fall colors
- Soft, cozy blankets
Remember, the key is to make your outdoor space feel inviting and comfortable, just like it does inside your home.
Cozy Outdoor Spaces
Creating a hygge-inspired outdoor space is all about making it feel warm and welcoming. Here are some ideas to help you create a cozy outdoor space:
- Fire pit: A fire pit is perfect for creating a warm and cozy atmosphere. Enjoy the crackling fire while you and your friends share stories and savor warm beverages.
- Outdoor lighting: Soft, warm lighting is essential for a hygge-inspired outdoor space. String lights, lanterns, and candles can be used to create a magical ambiance.
- Outdoor seating: Comfortable seating is vital when creating a cozy outdoor space. Invest in cushions, outdoor rugs, and plush blankets to make your seating area inviting and comfortable.
- Warm beverages: Keep a thermos of hot apple cider, hot chocolate, or mulled wine nearby to sip on while you enjoy your cozy outdoor space.
With these tips, you can easily transform your outdoor space into a hygge-inspired haven this fall. Enjoy the beauty of the season while embracing the comfort and warmth that define hygge.
As the fall season approaches, it’s the perfect time for you to embrace the cozy and inviting concept of Hygge. By incorporating warm and soft materials, nurturing a comfortable atmosphere with candlelight, and spending quality time with loved ones, your home will transform into a haven of relaxation and happiness.
Remember to focus on creating an environment that cultivates warm feelings and encourages a sense of togetherness. Don’t worry about following trends or impressing others – Hygge is all about finding your own personal comfort and embracing the simple pleasures in life.
By embracing Hygge this fall, you’ll not only create a cozy and inviting home for yourself and your loved ones but will also foster a greater sense of well-being as the days grow shorter and colder. So go ahead, light those candles, snuggle up under those blankets, and enjoy the simple and enticing pleasures of Hygge in your own home.
My friend Michelle at Thistle Key Lane has some beautiful Fall Home Inspiration and adorable DIY’s to share!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some cozy hygge decorating tips for my living room?
To create a cozy hygge atmosphere in your living room, consider these tips:
- Start by choosing a warm, muted color palette. Think beiges, grays, and earthy tones.
- Incorporate soft, plush textiles like faux fur throws, fuzzy pillows, and thick knit blankets.
- Opt for furniture with comfortable, inviting shapes and materials, like a plush sofa or a large, cushioned armchair.
- Include natural elements like wood, plants, or woven baskets to create a sense of warmth and connection to nature.
- Use warm, soft lighting, like candles and fairy lights, to set a relaxing mood.
- Lastly, don’t forget to declutter and keep your space organized for a stress-free environment.
Which hygge rules should I follow to make my home more welcoming?
Here are some hygge rules to make your home feel more welcoming:
- Cultivate a cozy atmosphere with warm lighting, soft furnishings, and a calming color palette.
- Keep your home clean and organized – a clutter-free space will allow you and your guests to relax and enjoy each other’s company.
- Incorporate natural elements throughout your home, like plants, flowers, and wooden details.
- Create intimate spaces for conversation and connection, like a snug reading nook or a comfortable dining area.
- Foster a sense of relaxation by incorporating calming scents and soothing sounds.
- Prioritize comfort and self-care when designing your space – think plush seating and cozy blankets.
It’s easy to save this post to your Pinterest board right here from the image below by either hovering over it on your computer or touch the red Pinterest Logo on the image with your phone and it will automatically open your Pinterest app to save! That way you’ll have it when you are ready for it!
What are some hygge-style clothing items for a comfortable fall season?
As the weather turns cooler, embrace the hygge philosophy with these cozy clothing choices:
- Layer your wardrobe with soft, chunky knit cardigans and oversized sweaters.
- Invest in a few pairs of comfortable leggings or joggers for casual days at home.
- Warm, fluffy socks or slippers are perfect for keeping your feet cozy as temperatures drop.
- A versatile, plush scarf can double as a shawl for added warmth on chilly days.
- Opt for clothing made from natural, breathable materials, like cotton and wool, for ultimate comfort.
- Don’t forget to treat yourself to some new loungewear or pajamas – the perfect attire for a cozy night in!
Monday Sept. 11
Tuesday Sept. 12
Wednesday Sept. 13
Thursday Sept. 14
Friday Sept. 15