In this tutorial, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to make an easy butterfly bookmark that is perfect for adding a touch of whimsy to any book lover’s experience. So, grab some Linen fabric and your favorite butterfly transfers, and let’s go!
It’s embarrassing how easy these DIY bookmarks are to make yet they look so high-end and expensive! These make great gifts for your favorite reader and I have listed more uses at the bottom of this post!
On my blog Amy Sadler Designs, I may sometimes use affiliate links, which means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase via the link. The price will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. You can find my full Disclosure Policy HERE
Supplies for Easy Butterfly Bookmarks
How to Make Easy DIY Butterfly Bookmarks
- Amy Howard at Home Butterfly Transfers
- 100% Linen
- Snip your linen fabric about 3 inches down from the corner on the selvage edge and begin to tear the fabric across (it will tear straight I promise)
- Then do the same on the other side however long you want your bookmark to be and tear it into a square
- Now you will have an almost perfect square with frayed edges. I made different sizes for the different butterfly sizes I was choosing
- Carefully cut out the butterfly you want to use on your linen
- Place the butterfly (paint side down) on the linen (reminder to have Aunt Hello fix Gigi's nails! )
- Use the plastic tool that comes with your transfer to firmly scrape the carrier sheet over the butterfly to adhere the transfer to the linen
- As the transfer leaves the carrier sheet and adheres to the linen you will see the carrier sheet looks more "foggy" as the transfer begins to adhere to the linen.
- Don't lift the carrier sheet completely away from the linen until you see it completely "foggy", but you can lift an edge to see that it is working
- When the butterfly is completely adhered to the linen remove the carrier sheet and that is it. There is no need to seal it!
Make multiple sizes and shapes! These can be so much fun!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The transfers come with the tool that you need to apply the butterflies to the linen. I try to always use their tool!
What I’m Loving Right Now!
It’s easy to save this post to your Pinterest board right here from the image below by either hovering over it on your computer or touch the red Pinterest Logo on the image with your phone and it will automatically open your Pinterest app to save! That way you’ll have it when you are ready for it!
Don’t forget to pin this for later!
Frequently Asked Questions
Common Question about Paint Transfers
Can you use transfers on Fabric?
Yes, absolutely! If I were using them on a high-traffic piece or if I were going to hand wash them I would use Modpodge for fabric over them as a sealer.
Can you use any fabric?
I would stick to a natural fabric like cotton or linen instead of nylon or polyester but I think they would stick to just about anything.
Will transfers peel off of fabric?
Eventually with really heavy use or a lot of washing, but as a bookmark, they should last for many years to come!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
You Might Also Like
- Gift Tags
- Handmade Label
- Wall Art